Saturday, January 21, 2023

Take our 5 minute survey

 Dear Reader,

For people like you, reading is an obvious joy in your life, but did you know that there are documented benefits that come to those who read fiction? While reading non-fiction largely conveys useful information, reading fiction conveys a multitude of other benefits on both an emotional and cognitive level.

Emotionally, reading fiction is an obvious pleasure, and for most it is a joyful thing to do. Yet it has other documented effects that include stress reduction, improved emotional intelligence, nurturing of empathy towards others, improved relationships, and even better sleep! It can provide an escape from the drudgery of life, and become a refuge for you. Somerset Maugham once said: “To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” And to open a doorway to the joys of life as well.

On the cognitive level, reading fiction improves vocabulary and general language skills, but beyond that it has been shown to improve memory functions, strengthen problem-solving skills, and stimulate creativity On a physical level it even improves brain functions and connectivity between emotional and intellectual centers.

That’s a boatload of good things that come from reading fiction. Perhaps it is one reason why I so enjoy writing my stories, and I want to say again that I am very grateful for the time you spend in my many worlds and stories. I hope that is a pleasant and joyful escape for you too.

I'd love to know more about what you're reading, and so I've put together another short five question survey on my home page. It just take about 3 to 5 minutes. Give it a shot and sound off. It will help me make good choices for future books.

As always, Thanks much